Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Birth of Miss Megan

On this day 12 years ago, Alan and I were blessed with our beautiful daughter Megan Elizabeth Lance. Her entry into this world was dramatic, unexpected, and full of twists and turns. It was exactly as she has come to be.  Here is her story....


Alan and I had been married for 1 year and 3 months when we were shocked to discover after years of feminine trouble on my part and warnings from doctors to prepare ourselves for the need for fertility treatments that I was pregnant. My pregnancy was easy and enjoyable. We were told we were having a boy and set about preparing for our new addition.  Then at week 36 we had our final ultrasound and were shocked to discover the doctor now thought we were having a girl. We were left to wonder and were told that we would know for sure at the birth. Over the next few weeks, I became very uncomfortable and my feet swelled beyond the ability to wear shoes. In addition, my blood pressure started to climb slowly and the doctor began to be concerned that I was developing pre-eclampsia. To be cautious, I had several stress tests to ensure the baby was okay. 

My due date came and went and I was put on bed rest as my symptoms did not pass. The doctor then began sending me to the hospital daily for cervix softening, and after three days, scheduled an induction of labor for December 9th, 1999. We were admitted to Labor & Delivery room 9 at 7 am. The trouble began when they tried to start an IV for fluids. They stuck me 9 times before the anesthesiologist was able to get it started. As a result, it was almost 11 am before they go the petocin started. The afternoon did not bring better news. My blood work revealed that my pre-eclampsia had progressed and was moving towards toxemia. The doctor turned up the petocin and hoped for a quick delivery. By 6 pm, the doctor had diagnosed full blown toxemia and had determined an epidural was out of the question. They brought in the prenatal emergency team and set a deadline of midnight. If labor had not progressed sufficiently they would deliver by c-section. About 11:30 pm, we began preparing to push and by 2:45 am on December 10, 1999, Megan was born. I do not remember much from 7 pm- the birth. The doctors had given me drugs for the pain and I was very sleepy due to the toxemia. It was a scary night, but one that yielded a wonderful reward. 
 
We were given our beautiful caring and loving daughter.  She entered this world in the same dramatic and unique way she has come to face everyday. She has also developed a heart of gold that she uses to guide her daily. She has blessed our lives in more ways than we can list in the last 12 years and is growing into a beautiful young lady. I am anxious to see how God uses her in his plans and am thrilled to be a part of the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment